Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Sunday, April 22, 2007

More Dress-Up

We went to the Prom Saturday --arrived on the bike, in case you're curious.

I had the cheapie camera with me, so this is the only documentation of us "cleaned up" until we get the professional shot. We're oddly fuzzy and blue in the deck lighting.

The kids looked like they were having a great time. Most of the tuxedo jackets were draped over folding chairs by about an hour into the dance -- we wondered how they would get back to the correct renters.

One of Izzy's colleagues remarked: Tuxedos at the Prom are like Birkenstocks at a Grateful Dead Concert. At the end of the night, everyone goes home wearing something.

I like that thought...

In the photo on the right, there is a screen where the kids are watching photos of themselves taken just a few moments before.
Izzy suggests that we'll soon be able to post on You-Tube videos of the kids watching themselves practically live on You-Tube.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This morning, we saw other children dressed up for major rites of passage -- no black tie here; these kids were in white.

We had a baptism, I think the first for a child of active members of the young adult group. She never made a peep (surprisingly), and her parents couldn't have looked happier.

I was tickled that we had already chosen "I want to walk as a child of the light" as the Song of Sending Forth at the end of Mass, when I heard that formula used in the Baptismal rite. (We hadn't known before this AM that there would be a baptism.) It's great when things work out that way (not the ignorance, just the fortuitous song selection.)

Our littlest member wore a white dress and, except for the times when she was anointed & baptised, the traditional handkerchief cap that she'll carry in her wedding. I love traditions.A

nd speaking of such, as we left Mass this morning, the children arrived who would be making their first Holy Communions at 11 AM. There was one little boy in a white shirt and white pants and a dark blue tie. (I am certain there was a parent not far behind holding a white jacket for him.) The little girls were adorable in white lace, ribbons, bows, shoes and headdresses. It was wonderful to see and put a smile on the faces of everyone who saw them arrive.

It might seem a bit hokey to some, but I think that we further dignify and signify events with our choices of clothes. I wore maroon and orange on Friday in honor of VTech kids (surprisingly, I found a shawl AND jewelry with that color combo); it was important to do that to remind myself to pray for the situation and involved people.

Baby Piper ( & her parents) were told to "see in your white garment the sign of your Christian dignity." I love that we pay attention down to that level in our liturgy.

No comments: