Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Monday, April 02, 2007

Bury the Dead

"Bury the dead" is the last in the list of the Corporal Works of Mercy. Based on Matthew 25, this list of evidences for our faith is aimed at the body.

  • Feed the hungry;
  • Give drink to the thirsty;
  • Clothe the naked;
  • Harbor the harborless; (or Shelter the homeless)
  • Visit the sick;
  • Ransom the captive; (or Visit the imprisoned)
  • Bury the dead.
Tonight we had a chance to participate in this last work of mercy. One of our parishioners died last Sunday AM. He had just walked up what many of us call "Heart Attack Hill", and he had a massive heart attack right in front of our Student Center. Our Padre, a nurse and two physicians (from Benin) did CPR and revived him, but he died either en route to or upon arrival at the hospital.

His family traveled in from Puerto Rico and we had the funeral Mass this evening. (He'll actually be buried back in Puerto Rico next week.) Izzy and I didn't really know him, but we knew that it would be important to have people from the Parish there to support those family and friends who had traveled so far.

When I arrived a bit early, Padre asked if I would be willing to read, if the family hadn't arranged for a reader. Certainly. Oh, and by the way, could I sing the Gospel acclamation? (No musician had been arranged for...) Sure. Maybe lead Amazing Grace in the entrance procession? I asked and was told: Yes, it would be nice if the Responsorial Psalm were sung, and OK, let's do a post-Communion song (I picked a bi-lingual one.)

Until the Sunday after Katrina, I don't know that I would have ever considered singing not just lead, but accapella lead. I recognized tonight that singing was a good way to give the gift of music (turns out that music was really important to this man) to a grieving family. Folks sang along with everything, including all the verses of the Responsorial Psalm.

Izzy and I have helped honor the dead by holding flags at service member's funerals. (& here, & here.) Tonight I got to help with final rites--as close as I might come to actually burying the dead.

A special Holy Week gift for both of us.

Angel, requiescas in pace.

No comments: