Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Holy Thursday in the Hospital

S2's daughter (S2D2) arrived at her house with one of our great nephews* Thursday morning. S2 had felt badly for 3 days, headache, nausea leading to lack of appetite, making headache worse, etc. Thursday, she was staggering around the house and (1) hit her head on the wall and (2) fell (not necessarily in that order.) Daughter called 911 and Sis was transported to local ER.

One call to S3, and the family phone tree was activated. Amazingly, the person hardest to reach was our Mom, who was actually working a volunteer shift in the same hospital where we were.

Not impressed with the history taken by the ER doc. I'd comment on the physical examination, except -- oh, yes -- no one did one! (Not even rudimentary ophthalmic!) I saw an MD make a snap judgement based on the first thing my sister said, and then act very dismissively towards her the rest of the time she was there. I personally might not have relied on the "testimony" of someone whose pain level was so obviously acute and intense. He started in immediately on a lecture about use of the ER (EMS opted to transport; if they thought this was serious enough, then don't give the patient a lecture. Especially, don't talk about the health care system to someone who cannot stop moaning and who cannot give sensible answers to questions...) No chance to give family input...

CAT scan was negative, and I'm hoping a neurology referral can uncover what was happening.

Anyhow, as I think about this a few days later, I'm struck by how often my behavior or judgements mirror those of the ER doc -- rapid, firm, unchangeable. I think folks are bright enough to figure out the conclusions I'm drawing -- I'd hate to have to write yet another sermon to myself.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Side note: I got a bit dehydrated in the very warm ER room. This triggered a headache that I couldn't completely shake until Saturday. I know it affected some of my perceptions of Holy Week services. Descriptions will follow this post.

* S2GS2? I'll have to figure out how to indicate grand kids now that my siblings have them.

No comments: