Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Anniversaries

On the drive into work today, I remembered the date and thought: Today is Waco Day. Then I remembered that Waco Day was followed two years later by Oklahoma City Day. I remembered that it was also pretty close to Columbine Day. Grim thoughts. These things came to mind as I heard more about the package mailed by the VTech killer to NBC.

It wasn't until this evening that I saw via the blogosphere that it was the 2nd anniversary of the election of our Holy Father, Benedict XVI. Two years ago, I was literally laid up on the couch, which Izzy had moved to be just in front of our tiny TV. I was home with pneumonia, I think in my 2nd week at that point. (I'd remember more if I hadn't spent so much time asleep, coughing or febrile...) (See last year's post on the anniversary of JP2's death)

Anyhow, having nothing else to do, I spent lots of the day flipping between stations that had chimney cams operating. The cable news airwaves (?right term?) were full of little that wasn't Catholic. It felt kinda cool (remember, I was heavily medicated) to be part of the "club" that was getting so much attention. I was so glad to have become a Catholic during John Paul II's papacy and, as a newish Catholic, I felt especially connected to the coverage of all the events after.

Anyway, as I recall, I watched the coverage excitedly and either called or emailed Izzy with the initial news ("The smoke is white!") and then the announcement ("Habemus Papam!") I sent the same message to a Presby email list. I called Gashwin, who was bursting with excitement. I'm sure I cried; I always do at this sort of thing.

I knew little, if anything, about any of the Papabile, so I had no expectations of a Ratzinger papacy. I've been pleased with His leadership and am learning to read His style of writing. I'm looking forward to the English translation of His book on Jesus.

And I'm glad April 19 has another meaning.

No comments: