Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Sunday, April 08, 2007

Holy Week 2007: Good Friday

(See 2006 post)

2nd day with the headache--not going away with the lower strength stuff.

Full Chapel, including larger than usual choir for the 3 PM Service of the Lord's Passion.

Music was nearly the same as last year--we did get to sing O Sacred Head (I think...memories fade after 55 hours...)

During the veneration of the Cross, I found myself tearing up as I watched people I've grown to love expressing their profound reverence for the Cross.

In an example of "the great bell curve of life" (one of my boss's favorite expressions), I experienced in the same service both joy and irritation. I've never raised children, but I've watched parents for years and I recognize when parents are and are not attempting to quiet noisy children in church. From what I could see from the choir vantage point, no one tried much of anything to quiet a very, very talkative toddler--not at any point in the readings, homily, communion rite, etc.

Why bother blogging on this and risk the wrath of parents? I want to be sure to remember the promptings I received in the midst of the frustration: to check my Pharisee hat at the door. Always a good idea.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Home for a lite meal, then back for a Tenebrae service in the evening. This is the 3rd year I have gotten to sing "The Lord is my Light and my Salvation" with the woman who leads music at the weekly vigil Mass. Our voices work well together and I really enjoyed the opportunity to harmonize with someone whose strong voice could carry the melody.

From an email I sent to a student earlier in the week (general info on Tenebrae and then a description of what happens at our Parish):

A Tenebrae service begins in a well-lighted sanctuary, which gradually becomes darker as lights are turned off, candles are extinguished, and the outside light fades after sunset. A Good Friday Tenebrae service is meant to evoke the increasing darkness and despair felt by the disciples after the crucifixion while Jesus lay in the tomb.

At our Parish, there will be some readings, some responsorial Psalms and some Psalm prayers, prayed as they are in the Liturgy of the Hours. Every so often, with a solemn drum accompaniment, a dancer will approach the candles placed in front of the altar and extinguish one. She will then run back into the shadows, as the disciples left Jesus one by one during the Crucifixion. The Christ candle is usually carried from the room last--symbolizing Jesus' death and burial.

When the room is entirely dark, there is a period of waiting, followed by a loud crash. The crash is meant to symbolize the power of Christ breaking the bonds of sin and death. The Christ candle is returned to the room, showing us the hope of the resurrection that we will celebrate at the Easter vigil the next night. All of us leave by the light of that single candle.

My memory was a bit faulty -- the dancers retreat more slowly (they don't run), but I still see their actions as being those of the disciples. Our actions, should we choose to be honest.

The talented cantor that I mentioned last year, back for a bit, was a delightful addition to the evening.

We left the Chapel in the dark, preparing to enter it in the same state Saturday night.

Dinner here with an engaged couple from the Parish. Izzy cooked fish, which was served with grits & salad; we also had the lovely brie with onion confit.

No comments: