Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Sugar, but no spice

After about 6 months of taking diabetes meds and 5 months of using a glucometer, I finally got the "yes, you have diabetes" news yesterday. I think I've already gone through all the Kubler-Ross stages, starting back in July and August, just not in order.

Denial: Call from my Gyn's office: Your blood sugar was elevated. You need to see your doctor about managing your diabetes. Me: I don't have diabetes.

Anger: Just get me started talking about visits to my former primary care doctor, and asking for a referral for diabetes education. Someone facing major life changes doesn't need to be told: "You can eat five candy bars a day, so long as you keep losing weight, and you'll probably be fine." There was also the reassurance that I could be back to eating cheeseburgers again soon...

Depression: Learning that being diagnosed with diabetes is, in cardiac risk terms, the same as "having your first heart attack." Drat.

Bargaining: OK, God. I've lost the pounds and tried to regulate my diet (& my life.) Can I please, please avoid this (after all, the 5-candy-bar-a-day-doctor said I'd probably just stay at pre-diabetes...)

Acceptance: I think that's what I'm feeling today.

I'm sure I'll re-visit the stages a few more times. I'm grateful that this was caught very early and that there are so many resources available to help manage type 2 diabetes.

Thanks to those who have asked after my health, prayed for me (& for Izzy as he has dealt with the uncertainty), etc.

No comments: