Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Grant Us Peace

Several weeks ago, we attended a concert up in Spartanburg. There was a line in one of Dave Turner's songs that struck a chord with me and I spent most of the drive home trying to assemble lyrics & music. (I think Izzy dozed through the entire experiement in rhyme scheme, meter and tune. Good for him.)

I don't usually share works in progress, but this may end up being all there is.

There are three little crosses
with names I can't read
planted on the edge of the highway;
a roadside reminder
of those who still grieve;
I offer this prayer as I drive...

Bring the souls of the faithful departed
into the light of Your presence;
Grant them rest, O Lord,
and grant us peace.

She kneels at the marker
and brushes the leaves
off their name, off his dates, off the flowers;
I kneel in the Chapel
and finger the beads;
I pray for him in this Holy Hour...

Bring the souls of the faithful departed
into the light of Your presence;
grant them rest, O Lord,
and grant us peace.
(c) House of Chez Casa Music, 2006

I think it's my most "Catholic" composition yet. Shades of purgatory, even.

No comments: