Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Sunday, November 19, 2006

Concert Notes

8:44 PM (11/18)
Here at Cafe Ishi for Jason's show--opener is Dave Turner (davedturner.com), pianist, very Elton-John influenced.

Lines: (From Damn, She's Aged) (from here, if the link works)

There's a little white cross by the side of the highway
A wreath of flowers where he crashed and burned
Flyin' through the night, D.W.I.
They told him to quit, but he never would learn.

Saw his widow at the Walmart
Where she's been workin'
In polyester hell at minimum wage
It's only been a year
Since the night that she lost him
Damn, she's aged. ...

Saw his momma at the store
Buyin' cigarettes and beer
With crumpled dollar bills and pocket change
Even had to take some pennies
From the take-a-penny cup
Damn -- she's aged.

___

(Didn't catch the song title)

I'm drunk again, and I don't know Jesus.


More later--Jason's up.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
9:44 PM

From Model Waif

I wish I was the choice of a new generation
I'd get to be what ev'ryone's drinkin'
I wish I was the Kinsey Report
I'd get to be what ev'ryone's thinkin'

Molly:

Mercy is the only think worth anything
but it's never worked for me

Tidewater:

Tidewater
I can feel the ocean pulling inward,
I'm sinking on sand.
It makes me think about Peter
Sinking on the waves, and not believing he grabs for your hand.
I go to a movie.
I can feel the tears on my neck stinging, because I just shaved.
Someone gets killed.
Someone else gets shot up real bad,
and in the end someone gets saved.

Just read the lyrics for Lion Song. I'll be off somewhere else when he sings it... sitting in this chair, but transported. Pretty great when music can do that...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
12:18 PM, 11/19
Last edit. We're back home now--great show, even for a small crowd.

A line from one of Dave's songs has me thinking about lyrics--I'll post if/when I get them arranged to mean something.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Those lyrics were really cool. I like narrative songs or songs that use a bunch of figurative language!

Anonymous said...

this guy is awesome, I added his song "when I fly away" as my profile song on myspace.... where'd y'all discover him? What a great sound!!!

St. Izzy said...

Well, Jason and I met first on an e-mail list of people who liked Mark Heard's music (his and Brian's first album was the last produced by Mark before his heart attack at Cornerstone). Jason and I met in the flesh by chance several years later at a Sunday School breakfast. And we were in a small group together for a while.

It was really odd becoming friends with a guy whose fan I am.

jenqhbs,
Izzy