Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Sunday, November 05, 2006

Flu Shots

Izzy sends this URL for locating places to get flu shots in the Carolinas: http://www.mrnc.org/fcf/.

G & other DC-based ex-patriates--try the American Lung Ass'n site.

Patient-Friendly Info on Flu Shots

From the CDC: People who should get the flu shot include [lots of high risk people] AND

anyone else who wants to reduce their chance of getting influenza.
I don't think I've ever had true influenza, but i watched Izzy's 2-week bout with it and don't think I ever what to have it.

2 comments:

St. Izzy said...

Growing up, I never knew how people could die of a flu. I had had what were called "24 hour flu" or "a little stomach flu," and while they weren't pleasant, they seemed far from life-threatening. And, it turns out, they weren't the flu. I have now had an honest-to-goodness influenza (while in grad school, no less), and I've never missed a yearly flu shot since.

The first week, with the 105 fevers, the constant shaking, &c, was the easy week. Most of it has been forgotten, lost in a continuous blur of fever dreams. But the second week!

The fevers broke, the sweat-soaked sheets were changed, I was cleaned, and I started to feel pretty good. Oh, sure, I still ached a lot from all that shaking, but otherwise I thought I just might live. In fact, I was hungry again. So I would get up, go to the kitchen, warm up some soup (or, later, make a sandwich)… And then I'd be all tuckered out. I'd have to lie down for a couple of hours before I had the energy to actually eat what I'd prepared.

That second week was demoralizing. I couldn't even hold up a book and read for more than five or ten minutes at a stretch.

kecifx,
Izzy

Fr. Gaurav Shroff said...

Influenza is a scary disease. All that talk of "stomach flu" is a distraction ... I had influenza as a kid, it was horrible. (The only time I was sicker was when I had hepatitis and typoid. Together. Oh wait, I also had malaria as a kid. Boy, I guess growing up in India is one of those, "if it doesn't kill you it'll make you stronger" deals :-))

St. Liz: the CSPs have someone come in every year to give the whole house a flu shot. Given the general age of the community, that's probably a wise thing. However, I'm looking foward to contributing to herd immunity as well ... :-)