Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Should a church look like a church?

The Curt Jester posts on a seeker-friendly protestant church that meets in a theater, includes Hip-Hop in the worship service, etc.

Because Pews Don't Have Drink Holders

The Rev. Dan Smith uses an extremely unorthodox way to preach the Christian gospels. (sic) He wants to attract young people turned off by conventional churches.

[Cleveland's] NewsChannel5's Ted Henry reported Smith will do almost anything to convince those turned off by religion that being spiritual can be cool. He wants to attract the unchurched.

"I have some people who haven't been to church in 10 to 15 years or forever, saying man that this is cool," Smith said.

Another interesting element is where the church -- Momentum Christian Church -- is located.

The congregation meets at the Cinemark movie theater on Canal Road.

"A lot of time when you walk into a church it feels kind of solemn, but when you walk into a theater, it feels like something exciting is about to happen... Smith said.

I walk into a theater and notice the sticky floors, but I digress.

Another member said, "We've been here ever since it started. It's different. It's not like being at church." ...

Dan Smith's videos infuse religion and rap music and they have been played on VH1 and CNN. They are a big hit for everyone except reserved believers. [Ouch!]

...Some might consider this approach a bold church experiment because of everything -- a movie house, video games, Hip Hop, comedy, plus the teachings of Christ. But Smith thinks it is his life's passion to bring what he has to offer to both the unchurched and the disillusioned.

My reply, in which I addressed on something I'd not found time for yet in this space:

I read the blog-post title and immediately flashed to the Baptist churches of my childhood, the Bible Church and Presbyterian Church of my younger and recent adulthood, etc.

On the backs of pews you find teeeny, tiny cup holders for communion cups -- emptied, of course--it's risky to use them before communion is received.)

As regards do-the-"liturgy"-yourselves churches: I was at a Presbyterian women's retreat recently that ended with communion at the Sunday morning worship service. As a Catholic Convert, I didn't receive, but noticed that I was more and more uncomfortable with the informality of the Communion ritual--informality that included jokes.

I remarked on this to my husband, who reminded me that if there is no Magisterium, no "big T" Tradition, no understanding that we are handling the Body and Blood of Christ, what does it matter if you inject humor?

Or hip hop? Or ad lib?

BTW: Why should church be the only place we go where we don't want to be reminded of where we are? I want my doctor's office, grocery store, post office, library, the Department of Motor Vehicles, even a movie theater to look like what they are. Church should "look like" church.

Anyone else out there feel like that?

PS: This guy (Dan Smith or whiteboy DJ) is the one responsible for the video: Baby Got Book. Worth a view or two.

No comments: