Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Continuing Cultural Education: Sound of Music

So, just before 7 PM tonight, Izzy announces that The Sound of Music was about to start on ABC. He probably expected me to not be interested; he didn't recall/realize that I'd never watched the movie. I'd seen clips before, and knew most of the music (courtesy of my high school music program), but had never actually seen the film.


[A few years ago, there was a similar situation once when he discovered I had never seen Casablanca -- a cultural deficiency that was remedied that very evening with a trip to the video store.]

So, I've now seen Sound of Music. To paraphrase something I read years ago about Shakespeare in the Reader's Digest: The Sound of Music isn't that great - somebody just took a bunch of familiar songs and hung a story on them.... ::grin::

Glad I finally saw it -- the cultural gaps from the no-movie-childhood are being filled in.

BTW: Any 2nd Chapter of Acts fans out there?
There is some incidental music used throughout SoM that sounds just like the first few notes of Mansion Builder (the part right before the clip on this page). Coincidence?


1 comment:

Dogwood Dell said...

Wow! This is the first time for you to see this wonderful film.

Wonderful.

FYI...many years ago I played Fritz in this play.

Well...tomorrow will provide "bright paper packages tied up in string, these are a few of my favorite things...."

So long, farewell......(you get the picture - Grin)