Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Last Night Prayer

Ultra-C's post on resuming praying the Daily office ended with his appreciation of the last parts of night prayer.

He shared that one of his favorites is:

May the all-powerful Lord grant us a restful night,
and a peaceful death.
(It's one of my faves, too.)

I thought I'd post my reply here, since I now have yet another song in my head:

Some evenings, while my Dad was at the end of his battle with cancer, I'd sit in his room while Mom took a break.

I sang these words to him, which I based on the last of the night prayers:

May the Lord grant to us
a restful night
May the Lord Who forgives all our sins hold us tight;
May the Lord grant to us
a restful night
and in the end
give to us
a peaceful death.

Singing, my favorite sort of meditation on scripture, made the reality easier to take.

God answered my prayer for Daddy.

No comments: