Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Saturday, June 09, 2007

Varia for Izzy

Izzy is away in the Garden State this week, grading AP exams. He left early this morning, taking the scenic route via the Blue Ridge Parkway. He's at Peaks of Otter this evening -- and will get into Trenton sometime tomorrow afternoon.

I spent the day researching digital SLRs. I think I've settled on the Nikon D40 with two lenses and flash package. I've been offered a chance to use a brother's camera for the Italy trip, so I think I'll put the camera purchase off until August. Less risk of needing begging bowls whilst in Rome, in case our calculation$ are incorrect.

Mowed the lawn (front only -- the mower ran out of battery power) close to sunset. With as dry as it has been, the grass hadn't grown terribly much since last time. However, I kept track of my progress by the decreasing area covered with fallen pine cones & magnolia leaves. We needs us some rains here.

Missed the Belmont. Rags to Riches beat Curlin by a head. Curlin had previously bested the Derby winner, Street Sense, at the Preakness by less than half a length. Street Sense didn't run today -- I guess no one wants to risk the health of a Derby winner when there is no best 2 of 3 prize for Triple Crown venues. No repeat battle of the great Cajun accents of the jockeys who rode Curlin & Street Sense. I see from CNN that Rags to Riches is the first filly in a century to win the Belmont. Gotta be said: You go, girl. (Fun facts: R2R's half-brother won last year's Belmont. Her grandfather was Seattle Slew.)

Turned on the TV after cleaning up from yardwork. Scanning down, I chanced on the end of C-SPAN coverage of the dedication of the Billy Graham Library in Charlotte. After a few final prayers, Cliff Barrows and George Beverly Shea led the crowd in a couple of hymns -- I saw them sing "To God Be the Glory." Sadly, the camera picked up several front row guests (I noticed NC Gov. Mike Easley) totally lost as the hymn proceeded. Bush-41 looked intently at his program; Carter & Clinton sang with gusto from memory. Guess one could pick out the Southern Baptists in the crowd.

Izzy's favorite Saturday PM program, "As Time Goes By" appears to have gone into hiatus for a while, replaced by Monty Python. Tonight's show featured the Lumberjack Song. Altogether now (speaking of singing with gusto from memory...):

Barber (Bevis): I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay.
I sleep all night. I work all day.

Mounties: He's a lumberjack, and he's okay.
He sleeps all night and he works all day.

Barber (Bevis): I cut down trees. I eat my lunch.
I go to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays I go shoppin'
And have buttered scones for tea.

Mounties: He cuts down trees. He eats his lunch.
He goes to the lavatory.
On Wednesdays he goes shopping
And has buttered scones for tea.
He's a lumberjack, and he's okay.
He sleeps all night and he works all day.

Barber (Bevis): I cut down trees. I skip and jump.
I like to press wild flowers.
I put on women's clothing
And hang around in bars.

Mounties: He cuts down trees. He skips and jumps.
He likes to press wild flowers.
He puts on women's clothing
And hangs around in bars?!
He's a lumberjack, and he's okay.
He sleeps all night and he works all day.

Barber (Bevis): I cut down trees. I wear high heels,
Suspendies, and a bra.
I wish I'd been a girlie,
Just like my dear Mama

Mounties: He cuts down trees. He wears high heels,
Suspendies, and a bra?! ...

They all mumble. Music runs down. The girl looks horrified and bursts into tears.

Barber (Bevis): ...just like my dear Mama.

Girl: Oh Bevis! And I thought you were so rugged.

Ending the evening semi-watching the "Spock's Brain" episode of Star Trek whilst typing. Not their best effort ... Noticed that Scotty appeared in a red shirt in this episode, and was neither injured, nor killed. Guess the red shirt curse only applied to unknown extras.

No comments: