Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Saturday, June 02, 2007

Real Reasons

Izzy and I went to Pritcher and Pritchess' (Pritcher's Princess--Izzy's coinage) wedding this AM. The bride was serene & beautiful -- her Dad could not have been more radiant. Pritcher was very happy, and seemed to be suffering no ill effects from all the pre-wedding bad dreams.

Izzy offered his usual "blessing" to the couple: If you guys are half as happy as we have been, well then, we'll have been twice as happy as you. Don't know if it's original to him -- it sounds like something my Dad would have said.

Izzy comes prepared to weddings -- he makes sure there is a hankie or sufficient tissue for me. (Somehow weddings leave me needing to dab my eyes.) He takes my hand in his as the vows are being recited -- I know he is recalling and re-making his vows to me and to God for love, honor, fidelity, commitment, etc.

After the wedding, and still thinking about the bride's Dad's toast/blessing, I followed a link from City Yogin's blog to a site with neat stories, art work etc. I was struck by a particular print that seems good for friendships, but I also like it for old married folks like ourselves, who don't often spend our days looking radiant, beautiful, serene, etc.

Real Reason

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here: to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good. (Brian Andreas)

Life is found in the ordinary, not in the brief spectacular moments. Here's to many, many ordinary moments for the Littlebarns.

3 comments:

St. Izzy said...

veritas in vino; in cibo caritas.

There is truth in wine; in food, love.

St. Izzy said...

I think I'd like that little coinage (as far as I know it's original with me) better with a chiasmus:

in vino vertias; caritas in cibo.

City Yogin said...

Love the "real reason" quote--glad you enjoy the site! There are some very random little thoughts, but every once in a while you stumble across something quite good!