Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Monday, June 18, 2007

BDay Surprise

Mom called and asked to stop by this evening. I had no plans, having gone out w/family Saturday & Sunday (Sunday was Chinese buffet for me, & for B1 & his son, in honor of Father's Day.)

Mom arrived with two nieces (ages 10 & 8) in tow. They cut up strawberries and served them with Sugar-free Cool Whip & angel food cake. (Note to self -- skip the cake next time ... even a sliver seems to be too much...)

I used spoons (multiple sizes), forks and a bowl on the table to try & explain insulin resistance to the girls. A particular inspiration was when the insulin piece of cutlery had convinced the carb piece of cutlery to go into the bowl (muscle cell), when suddenly the bowl rose up and announced "You shall not pass!" in just the sort of deep voice you'd expect from a china dessert bowl.

The girls "decided" that the birdseed that Grandma had also purchased this evening was good for diabetes and that I should have it as sprinkles on my strawberries. Fortunately for me, giggling over this prospect left them absolutely no time or energy to actually try and open the container. (Besides, they've not tasted diabetic breakfast cereals -- not much different from what I assume the birdseed would have been.)

We looked at Flickr pics and they told grandly exaggerated tales of their adventures at the beach this past week. One got to use our new egg/strawberry cutter (great job of re-wiring, Izzy!) and another cleaned & de-stemmed the berries. Lots of unexpected fun -- a great bday surprise.

Izzy called during the visit -- I'm sure the girls will continue giggling at what they heard when he and the crowd of Texan/Spaniards relocated to New Jersey sang over the phone.

So, I've ended my first official, admitted year of middle age -- I don't plan to have another quite so full of health issues. I'm feeling sort of like someone in recovery -- happy for changes in my life, but also very aware that staying healthy will rely a great deal on my choices.

Thanks to all for prayers & support this past year.

No comments: