Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Pops

Learned from Mom last PM that my six year old nephew, when thinking aloud about all the choices of what to call his soon-to-be new step-grandfather, announced "Let's call him 'Pops'."

Mom is now showing pix of her beau (fiance' is such an odd construct to get used to) to the kiddoes and pointing out "Pops."

Not sure what appellation I'll end up using. Pops' nickname (the only name I've ever heard him called) is the same as my father-in-law, Mr. O'Cayce. Unlike my Mom, who called both her mother-in-law and her step-mother "Mom,", I've never called my in-laws anything besides their 1st names. I'm sure it'll be the same for this new addition to the senior level of the family.

A daughter of the South, I referred and called my Dad "Daddy" until he died, at which time I think "Daddy" became too hard to say.

Back to "Pops", I could be the maverick, and call him "Reverend C." Or maybe not.

Odd the things we try and plan for -- distractions from the odd realization that we'll again be sharing our Mom. Self-centered? maybe, but admission/recognition is the first step to improvement.

No comments: