Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Crusade Music (but not Medieval)

Growing up, we weren't allowed to watch a lot of TV or listen to lots of "secular" music (although Johnny Cash & Ray Conniff albums seemed to be OK.)

What we did watch whenever they came on, were Billy Graham crusades. There was always the choir, directed by Cliff Barrows, plus Ethel Waters (whom I'd seen on the Daniel Boone show) singing "His Eye is on the Sparrrr-ow" and George Beverly Shea singing "How Great Thou Art."

No matter how it is annotated in the hymnbook, the congregation will always end with "how great Thou art, how GreaaaaaaaaaaaT Thouuuuuuuuu ArrrrrrrrT." Same with the ending in the picture: "Thiiiiiiis iiiiiis my storrrrrrrry, ..."

These two men (Ethel has gone to glory) will be in town tomorrow at my Mom's church. I'm hoping to go and listen--no doubt we'll all sing along--and remember part of my childhood.

This will be AFTER we've celebrated the "birthday of the Church" in AM Mass. Many tongues, many songs.




Update: More on what the content of the evening was here on the FBC website.

4 comments:

Fr. Gaurav Shroff said...

Oooh --- they're doing the multilingual readings on Pentecost? Yippee ... what about the sequence in Latin? [One can hope ... :-)]

St. Elizabeth of Cayce said...

Can't speak for 11 AM.

We did the readings in English, and I did the sequence in Latin at 9 AM. All 10 verses, yes indeed.

Izzy let me know afterwards that I gave the wrong page number (I gave the song # rather than the page, oops!) so I'm not sure how many foks figured out how/where to follow along.

Better luck next time....

We had all accapella music at 9 AM, and we'll likely do it again next week for Trinity Sunday. The three female voices blended nicely.

Warren said...

My favourite Wesleyan hymn, from my protestant growing up days, first verse only:

And can it be that I should gain
An interest in the Savior’s blood?
Died He for me, who caused His pain—
For me, who Him to death pursued?
Amazing love! How can it be,
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?
Amazing love! How can it be,
That Thou, my God, shouldst die for me?


Warren

St. Elizabeth of Cayce said...

Warren:

1. Love your music list--looks a lot like Izzy's CD/vinyl collection.

2. We had "And Can it Be" in our wedding. We got to sing loudly, almost as a warm-up to reciting our vows. It's always been a fave.