Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Dance, Dance, Party

Or maybe Dance, Race, Party.

This afternoon, Izzy and I went to a dance recital, where we got to see several folks from the Parish in a tap number. Gold costumes, glittery fake eyelashes, and they looked like they were having more fun than most of the other dancers in the program. Great job, guys!

We watched the Preakness and I rooted for Street Sense -- the race ended in an exciting photo finish (and no Street Sense victory, alas!) No triple crown, again this year. It was interesting to watch the horses being lead to the starting gate while cars and buses passed by and "regular folks" watched from the sidewalks. Very different from the exclusivity of the Derby.

We went to a 21st bday party later this evening -- both Izzy and I made a point to wear things older than the honoree. I got introduced by said honoree to a friend of his as "Mrs. [O'Cayce]." I got "Mrs'd!" I guess it's not really the kiss of death, and it's certainly demonstrates that this child was raised properly. I was, after all, the eldest person in attendance. My tee-shirt (from high school) was older than all but 4 of us there...

Our evening is concluding with watching a John Prine concert DVD, from "back in the day" (1980.) Way overdue on the counting pills and applying liniments for the evening. (grin)

I should mention that my day began with an Izzy-modified omelet Lyonnaise made with Vidalia onions. Somebody loves me...

1 comment:

St. Izzy said...

Notes on the tap recital:

1) This group was the only one that seemed to be having fun. Most were either very worried little kids or people taking themselves way too seriously. I loved the attitude on our FFCs.

2) After overhearing all the noise from back- and under-stage, I've decided that the mass noun (gaggle of geese, murder of crows) for tap dancers should be "a heard of hoofers."

3) The music for their routine was a BnL song I hadn't heard before. "Get in Line" was apparently originally done for a King of the Hill soundtrack and then subsequently released on their Disc One retrospective.

I found it by searching on "pentagram-shaped rash." Nice song.

And if for some reason the link to the plain-text lyrics doesn't work (temp ID code or somesuch), the page with all the extraneous junque is here.