Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Friday, January 19, 2007

Fatigue and the Night Office

Up late tonight taking care of something needed by folks at work.  Editing took just a  little time -- sending via the dial-up connection took lots longer.  (Same dial-up that I assume will carry this email post to the blogosphere eventually.)  I'll be here in the AM waiting for the cable guy to arrive...
 
Last night, I was up late doing parish bulletin after pastoral council meeting.  I was tired enough that I sent the file for copying to the wrong group of people: who knew I had decided to start out-sourcing the Parish Bulletin to India? 
 
I'm often up late, even when not doing the bulletin, updating the website, taking late night rabies or food poisoning calls, etc.  My brain acts very much like the toddler who just won't accept her bedtime if there is any possibility that anything else might be happening anywhere else.   It's not so bad being a night owl if you are full of energy, but I find it's taking me longer and longer to recover from on-call nights, from restless nights before medical testing appts, etc. 
 
So, how to shut off the brain at night?
 
I'm going to try taking back up reading the Night Prayer Office -- something I'd gotten out of the habit of doing.  I used to feel really bad if/when I fell asleep reading the Office, as If I was like the disciples in the garden whom Jesus asked:  Could you not remain awake for one hour?
 
Now, I've decided that, even if I'm completely exhausted, what better way to complete my day and drift into unconsciousness than while in prayer?  in the Scriptures? 
 
Ask me in a few weeks how I'm doing.  The lifestyle changes with the diabetes (the ones that I've taken to heart) seem to have "stuck."  Let's see if increasing time in prayer lasts beyond the New Year's Resolution / Lenten corridor of time.

2 comments:

Dogwood Dell said...

Interesting that you say this. I recall reading in God and the World that Cardinal Ratzinger (now B16) made a point of praying the Rosary when he had trouble sleeping.

Best of luck in keeping your resolution.

Greg Graham said...

I read your post in Google Reader, so I didn't see the comments. Then I clicked over to your site in order make a comment about Cardinal Ratzinger praying the Rosary, and found it had already been made by dogwood dell.

After reading about Cardinal Ratzinger, I adopted the same practice when trying to sleep, and I've found it to be very helpful. And the side benefit is that I am developing a love for the Rosary so that I pray it at other times.

God and the World is a great book, by the way.