Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Monday, January 01, 2007

Be it hereby Resolved...

We went to a Vigil Mass last night (start time 11:30 PM) for the Solemnity of the Mother of God. Small crowd in a large church, but I was very glad to have the opportunity to see in the next year while in worship.

The homily was somewhat about Mary; it was more about how our New Year's resolutions are often so very much like our participation in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. We don't make resolutions to address problems that we aren't keenly aware of having; much like the reasons for the confessions we also make. There is probably more to the point he was making, but it was a bit late...

The Padre did mention that, just as we tend to confess the same sins over and over, we often (usually? always?) make the same resolutions year after year, and then fail to keep our resolutions. I'm not sure if the logical conclusion is then that no resolutions should be made. Perhaps the point is that needed changes shouldn't be delayed to January 1.

In any case, I've decided to make only New Year's resolutions that I can keep. I will resolve to pay my taxes (they already get taken from my check.) I resolve to continue singing alto. To be fair-skinned (but maybe less thin-skinned?) To laugh at (most of) Izzy's jokes & puns.
;-)

As far as the things that God, via my Padre, wants me to work on, I'll keep going to confession and seeking the grace of the sacrament to live the way God wants me to live.

Happy New Year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Source.

1 comment:

Dogwood Dell said...

I shudder the thought of what you'll consider for Lent (grin).