Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Monday, October 23, 2006

Motorcycle Ride

Or, "my corrected oil," "Coerced Limy Rot," "Try comedic role," "Melodic Rectory," "Comely creditor," or for this weekend "Record Icy Motel." (anagram source)

We left my office Friday just after 4:30 PM. I was dressed in jeans, tights, two pairs of socks, hiking boots, plus turtleneck, fleece jacket, lined motorcycle jacket, gloves and helmet. The pieces des resistance (sorry, I cannot do French accent marks in Blogger) were the genuine pre-Flashdance leggings. Pink, lavender, blue, teal, silvery threads, and I've had them since 1982. I got quite a few comments on them while I waited in the Lobby for Izzy's arrival.

Good thing I was wearing so many layers. It got fairly cold, fairly quickly, especially after sunset as we entered NC. Izzy did a great job handling the Wing on the curvy roads in the dark. We arrived at our lodge around 8:30, and I don't think I got warm until after 10 PM.



There was an amplified band in the main dining area, so ordering dinner became a bit of a comedy of misinterpretation. At one point, a waitress came up to me and said (trying to talk over the band) "I'm so sorry about your order." Me: "What's wrong?" Her: "You tried to order the veggie burger." Me: "I DID order the veggie burger. What are you fixing for me?" We never saw her again, and the veggie burger arrived as ordered. Izzy had the small (for which read, "really large") flank steak.

We retired to a commons room/non-smoking bar after dinner and I got to meet a few of the riders in the group. These are a lot of "regular people." People who work in plants, people who make things---ball bearings, wires, things people use. We were in the younger age group, through not the youngest (Izzy used to be the youngest rider in a group of Goldwing riders back in Tx...now we've aged just a bit.) These people like to RIDE--Izzy's kind of riders.

Saturday AM, we all met for breakfast. The menu reminded me of the Spam sketch: imagine all of the possible combinations and most of the ordering possible for 1, 2 or all 3 of eggs, bacon, and pancakes. I think they had a dozen combinations, all priced at $5 (including coffee, tea, juice or combination thereof.) They suggested that if you needed more variety, you try McDonalds. There was no Spam.

We left on the group ride around 9:30, bundled to the hilt against the cold and fog. When we passed the McDonalds, the temp sign read 37 degrees. Turns out this was optimistic. Our group leader had a general idea in mind of a route, but (in a manner that reminded Izzy of me in a car), took side roads as the mood struck him. If there were signs warning off the trucks, we took the road. I took a few pics from the back of the bike with the cheap digital camera that came with our 1999 iMac. I'll post some after this note.



The fog didn't completely clear for a couple of hours When it did, we were treated to some gorgeous colors! We stopped only for gas, once to walk around a bridge, and for lunch. These guys are not about overlooks and photos--they are about conquering the next set of twisties and eating up road miles. Izzy did a great job in our small group. Riding with your spouse is a sure way to test your faith in the person's judgment, skills and love.



Lunch in Tennessee at a home-cooking place that believes in miracle physics (non-smoking tables placed right next to smoking ones!) The prophylactic Benadryl made the long, curvy ride back to Little Switzerland interesting for me. Izzy & the gang headed back from the inn to Mount Mitchell, where he left me a cell phone message saying "Top of the world, Ma!" (Yes, apparently there is now cell phone reception at the highest point on the eastern seaboard. Who knew?) He arrived back a bit too late to make the run to Black Mountain for Mass, so I'll have to wait of another chance to see the cute church.



We downloaded the pix and edited on the laptops last night. There was WiFi, but we couldn't connect to Blogger to post. We hung out with the gang, heard stories of rides and plans for future rides. Vegetarian sloppy joes (Izzy had one of their signature jumbo burgers.)

Up this morning for another communal breakfast (same selections, same price. Plus, the owner had actually gone out and gotten sugar free pancake syrup for me!) and chatting about more rides. Again, these are Izzy's kids of riders.

Back to SC a roundabout way. I suggested NC 9--mountains, twisty curves, almost no guard rail to speak of, and nice views of Chimney Rock and Lake Lure. Lunch just north of Spartanburg at a cafeteria, where all the church folks were also in line. A little guy kept staring at us, but hid whenever we made eye contact. We managed to avoid almost all the rain that was forecast for the day.

560 miles for Izzy, around 500 for me. Not a bad weekend.

No comments: