Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Musical Reflection for Holy Week

Asked today on an email list I'm on: Who Killed Jesus?

The writer suggested an answer from a hymn by John Newton: In Evil Long I Took Delight. In this hymn, penned by John Newton, the eighteenth-century pastor-poet who also wrote “Amazing Grace,” Newton recounts the story of his own conversion from sin. Newton finds himself guilty of the death of Christ.

The question reminded me of the gorgeous hymn Ah, Holy Jesus. * I first heard it a few years back when we learned it for a Good Friday service. The 2nd and 5th verses always give me pause ... They are anything but amusing/soothing, to cite a frequent criticism of much of contemporary Christian music.

Ah, holy Jesus, how hast Thou offended,
That man to judge Thee hath in hate pretended?
By foes derided, by Thine own rejected,
O most afflicted.

Who was the guilty? Who brought this upon Thee?
Alas, my treason, Jesus, hath undone Thee.
'Twas I, Lord, Jesus, I it was denied Thee!
I crucified Thee.

Lo, the Good Shepherd for the sheep is offered;
The slave hath sinned, and the Son hath suffered;
For man's atonement, while he nothing heedeth,
God intercedeth.

For me, kind Jesus, was Thy incarnation,
Thy mortal sorrow, and Thy life's oblation;
Thy death of anguish and Thy bitter passion,
For my salvation.

Therefore, kind Jesus, since I cannot pay Thee,
I do adore Thee, and will ever pray Thee,
Think on Thy pity and Thy love unswerving,
Not my deserving.


Good words on which to meditate while preparing for the Triduum.

* Words: Jo­hann Heer­man, (1585-1647) De­vo­ti Mu­sica Cor­dis, 1630 (Herz­lieb­ster Je­su); trans­lat­ed from German to Eng­lish by Ro­bert S. Bridg­es, (1845-1930) in 1899. Music: "Herz­lieb­ster Je­su," Jo­hann Crü­ger, (1598-1662) Newes voll­köm­lich­es Ge­sang­buch Augs­burg­isch­er Con­fess­ion (Ber­lin: 1640)

Midi here (doesn't do it justice...).

No comments: