Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Monday, April 10, 2006

And a Little Child Shall Lead the Prayer

So, Izzy & I headed over to Mom's yesterday to have lunch with a few of my sibs and a few visiting cousins. A son of my Dad's half-sister came down from Chi-town with his son Zachary and had picked up his sister (also my cousin) in Greenville along the way.

Bonus points if you can tell me how 2 of these folks are my 1st cousins, 1st cousins once-removed, and 3rd cousins, all at the same time. (* Corrected 4/11)

10 of the 13 of the SC folks at Mom's yesterday were Babdis', all the Babdises having gone to the local FBC that AM. That background makes the following even more unusual/cute:

About an hour after the scheduled time for lunch, we finally all assembled in the kitchen to say grace. Folks looked around, shuuushing their kids, trying to decide about holding hands, etc. Someone looked towards B3 (Babdis' deacon) to get him to lead the prayer.

When the word prayer was said, little Zachary (age ~6) looked up, crossed himself while saying "In the name....," and proceeded to pray the "Bless us, O Lord..." prayer. Izzy and I, of course, prayed along, thrilled that this kid (1) felt comfortable leading prayer and (2) was well-trained enough that this was completely normal for him, even when away from his Catholic mom & sis.

B3 said a few words afterwards, but nothing that would make Z think anyone felt his prayer wasn't sufficient.

I'd have trouble imagining this a decade back... 8-) We've grown...yay!

3 comments:

Heather said...

A cousin had a child who had a child, so that gets us to the 3rd cousin. Then, the child's actual cousin was there, a sibling of their parent was there, as was a cousin. I think. That is pretty confusing.

Okay, if no one guesses, could you please tell us how all those people are the same things at the same time in a family where I am certain there is no incest? Thanks!

St. Elizabeth of Cayce said...

I'll wait a coupple of days and see if the folks who read this via RSS chime in with a guess or two.

In the meantime, the grandchild of my 1st cousin is not my 3rd cousin, he/she is my 1st cousin twice-removed. Good guess, though...

St. Elizabeth of Cayce said...

So, I was going to post the cousin answer in the Combox, but there just wasn't room. It's here.