Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Monday, March 27, 2006

Penance Service: Bad News and Good News

Went to our Parish's Communal Penance Service this evening.  Attendance was pretty good, despite the bulletins (containing the reminders) having all disappeared before Sunday Masses this weekend.
 
I chose the somewhat shorter line,and confessed to one of the visiting priests.  I confessed things that I seem to confess over and over.  This perceptive priest picked up on it, though we'd never spoken before.  His words, which could have been discouraging, were that these were issues I'd deal with the rest of my life.  (What some might have called "besetting sins" he described in terms of genetic makeup.  I knew what he was saying...)
 
So what's the good news?  God will continue to help me recognize when I'm tempted, be there to help me through it, and forgive me those times when I give in.  Like Hosea's wife Gomer (we sang "Hosea" tonight), God welcomes me to "come back to Him with all my heart."
 
Prone to wander, Lord I feel it
Prone to leave the God I love
Here's my heart, oh
Take and seal it,
Seal it for Thy courts above.
 
Robert Robinson in Come, Thou Fount

No comments: