Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Friday, December 14, 2007

How many movies...?

This question came up at a work outing for Mexican this afternoon. One member of our group was talking about the first time she saw King Lear. I started to share about the first time I saw Lear performed (Shakespeare Festival of Dallas), but couldn't bring to mind the name of the remarkable actor who had played Lear.

Me: He reminds me of Gregory Hines, but I think it was the guy who was on the Electric Company. Hmmm, maybe more of a cross between Morgan Freeman and the guy from the Electric Company.

Co-Worker 1 (my age minus 8 years): Morgan Freeman was on the Electric Company.

Co-Worker 2 (my age plus 1 year): How many movies has Morgan Freeman been in and you had to use the Electric Company to identify him?

Me: I don't get out much.


Since that conversation, I've added one to the number of movies I've seen in my lifetime. I've also started a new list, containing one item, of movies about which I've given cell phone feedback to the film maker immediately afterwards. Yoga Girl brought over a crowd, including a substitute Gashwin, for a viewing of Din. I was a bit confused at bits of it, but it turns out I was trying to make sense of parts of the film where the film maker was intentionally creating and increasing ambiguity. Overall, not a bad way to spend an evening.

PS for those to whom it matters: The cat is back in the living room, sniffing mightily, and seems a bit distressed about all of the scents we allowed into the house. I'm sure you're shocked!

PPS for Izzy, who was there: Turns out, memory had failed me a bit. Morgan Freeman played Othello in the Shakespeare Festival. I want to say "brilliantly and dangerously!", but I'm now wondering if I actually saw that play--gotta be, though--how else would I have associated Shakespeare with the Electric Company? I know for sure that we saw Earle Hyman, the innocuous Grandpa Huxtable on the Cosby Show, play Lear in a role that showed me the power of Shakespeare.

1 comment:

Warren said...

Heeeyyyy Guyyyys!


W