Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Sunday, July 02, 2006

More on Episcopalians

Izzy pointed me to a computer security blog with lots of squid-related content (where does he FIND this stuff?) that seems pretty excited about the elevation of Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori of Nevada as presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church.

Turns out:

A former research oceanographer who studied squid, octopuses and creatures living in marine mud, she was a second-career priest who was ordained in 1994.

The jokes have begun (not the ones about the dissolution of the Anglican Communion, but these):

One wag noted that the study of invertebrates makes Bishop Schori supremely qualified to rule the ECUSA. She's studied oysters and squids...this is a mental picture that I really did not need. Is this a case of 'squid pro quo'?

Do you suspect that ECUSA elected an oceanographer as its primate in recognition that it is floundering?

More from the Comments:

Holy mackeral! Oh My Cod!Perhaps we should form a Shad-hoc committee to study the "Squid Researcher Ordained Priest" (SRAP) syndrome? These fish jokes are giving me a haddock. I'd better Clam up. Wonder if she did it just for the Halibut? Or maybe on Porpoise?

...her election could lead to a squism in the church.


". . .an oceanographer as its primate. . ."
How did we get from invertebrates to primates?

"How did we get from invertebrates to primates?"
Practice, practice, practice.

Bit of humor for a Sunday.

6 comments:

St. Izzy said...

Lizzy sez:
Izzy pointed me to... (where does he FIND this stuff?)

I don't find it; it finds me. In this case, it was sent by my West Coast Twin. Hat tip to WCT, who may be blogless.

Anonymous said...

I am in fact (currently) blogless.

I find computer security strangely fascinating, although my virtually complete ignorance of Windows and *nix make it harder for me to understand the details I read about at an assortment of blogs and hear about in a few of the podcasts I subscribe to. But I find reading about (e.g.) the misbehavior of Windows Genuine Advantage quite interesting and I hope although I'm a Mac user not entirely a case of Schadenfreude.

For more on squids, by the way, I recommend Frank Lane's The Kingdom of the Octopus, which I read several times in high school (shortly after the octopus was invented). You might learn more about all the cephalopods than you really wanted to, but it will be Highly Improving & doubtless come in handy in the public health field.

On yet another topic, why can't my ECT just build a ramp and jump the river between your home and the new school?

Warren said...

Very very funny! WOOT!

Bruce Schneier is well known among us techno geeks. I didn't know he had a blog.

Warren

St. Elizabeth of Cayce said...

WCT asks: On yet another topic, why can't my ECT just build a ramp and jump the river between your home and the new school?

Permits, baby, permits! Izzy is lousy with administrivia, and getting all the permits, doing environmental impact studies, securing rights of way, all these activities would just kill him.

Plus, and this is important, one minor slip in the engineering of said ramp could land him in deeper doodoo than usual.

See this map. Look at the green arrow, and follow it west to the school. The oval track is a good landmark. Scroll left (west.) See what looks like a boat ramp just across the river (shaped like a mailbox flag.) Scroll back east, then just a tad south--see what we DON'T want Izzy to accidentally jump into on his way to teach each day.

St. Elizabeth of Cayce said...

OK, don't look at that map.

Try this one. Be sure the hybrid option is selected.

Anonymous said...

*innocence* That's a water-skiing pond, right? */innocence*

And I bet if ECT only had a bigger & better bike he could just take off from in front of your house.

And to UltraCrepidarian/Warren, Bruce Schneier has not only a blog, but a monthly podcast. Unlike any other I've heard, he writes it but someone else reads it! It's the Crypto-Gram Security podcast. His latest one had a very good piece on the nature of privacy.