Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Deja vu

So, I'm here in the hotel and I fear I'm coming unstuck in time.

First there was the Seinfeld re-run, where I was reminded that "Yada, Yada, Yada" was in the same episode as when we discovered Jerry was an anti-Dentite.

I was ready to return from the 1990's, so after the re-run, I switched to a news channel for background noise while typing the Bulletin. At one point I looked up and there was OJ Simpson in a courtroom conferring with his attorney. Holy 1994, Batman!

I went downstairs for more teabags, and came back to see a guy with a one-syllable first name, surname Peterson, denying any involvement in the disappearance of his wife, whose name rhymes with Laci. I hope there was no mysterious early morning fishing trip.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now they are running a story about people truly unstuck, persons with Alzheimer's who have forgotten their spouses and developed a love/fondness/affinity for someone else in their same institution. This was the story in the lovely, heartbreaking film we saw last summer, Away From Her. The same tragedy is now happening to Sandra Day O'Connor, whose husband has forgotten her. The love of the forgotten spouse is truly an example of "for better or for worse," and one of which we hope to be worthy if ever called upon to live through "the long goodbye."

No comments: