Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Sunday's Music--Pescador: Leaving and Finding

Late posting on it, but let's just say migraines suck and move on.
 
There were three of us, all female, this week singing, with Soprano1 and her hubby on guitar.  I had hoped we'd sing "Lord, You Have Come" and was delighted when I arrived and saw we'd be singing it.  It also well-suited our voices and we did two and three-part hamrmonies. It's great when things work out that way.
 
After reading so many posts on the English translation, I was pleased to see that our missallettes only credited OCP. 
 
Back to the topic. Soprano2, with whom I (Alto) regularly sing at 9 AM, had grown up with the Jabusch translation. I found that version in our hardbound Gather books.
 
I was struck by one particular difference in translations of the refrain, which I don't know enough Spanish to accurately comment on:
 
"all I longed for, I have found by the water" vs. "all I treasured, I have left on the sand there."
 
Both seem fitting for the stories of the call of the disciples; resolving the tension between the two may be at the core of discipleship.

2 comments:

Sean said...

the spanish refrain is, literally:
"lord you have looked me in the eyes.
smiling, you have said my name.
in the sand i have left my boat;
with you i will look for another sea."

Yurodivi said...

We're singing that one at Confirmation in a month or two. Lots of spanish-speaking parishioners now, and the parents and grandparents don't understand much english, so we're trying to be accommodating.

Hope to meet you in Auburn if you can make it!