Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Monday, June 06, 2005

50CC, Day 2

Isidore left Savannah at 4 AM, called @ 9 PM just west of Fort Worth. He was planning on another coupla hundred miles...so will be stopping somewhere between Abilene and Odessa.

I can stop worrying around midnight.

Redneck golf (or here, official rules, or extreme version) and Veggie Tales with the Young Adult Group this evening. First time to witness a house blessing.

Saw lots of discussion and news traffic about the TX governor doing a Parental Consent bill signing in the gym of an evangelical church. I had this exchange with a friend who directed me to
Amy Welborn's blog on the topic:

In response to his question "Texas Politics?", I wrote:

I'm also wondering about how the ceremony took 1 1/2 hours.

I checked out how this was playing to the home folks...

Quote1:
"Texans have made a decision about marriage and if there is some other state that has a more lenient view than Texas then maybe that's a better place for them to live." - Gov. Rick Perry

You can't get much more Texan than that.

Quote 2:
"A nurturing home with a loving mother and loving father is the best way to guide our children down the proper path," said Perry

Agreed. I haven't looked at TX welfare reform rules, but the old system did all it could to separate families in order for moms & kids to get public assistance.

(This was what I had observed as a Public Health Nurse there, working with mom's getting $158/month assistance...and no chance to get that if the BabyDaddy was in the picture. What a brilliant way to guarantee generational poverty (!!)... irrespective of my opinions on how these young women GOT these infants, a pro-life culture should welcome/care for these infants and work to strengthen these families.)

I was more amazed to read, after a bit of surfing on TX sites, that Councilman Al Lipscomb (hasn't changed since the eighties) had been voted out of office in Dallas after umpteen years (current election, earlier trouble). My memory is that he held court every afternoon at the La Madeleine on Mockingbird Lane (saved $$ on an office?) Wonder if Dallas politics will be any less contentious now?? Folks might miss the heyday of Lipscomb, Diane Ragsdale, and "All the way with Elsie Fay" Higgins. Sadly, I cannot even name any of the members of our local council--just not as exciting.

No comments: