Sticky Top Post

Howdy. We've moved from Cayce, but St. Elizabeth of South Rose Hill or Lizette de Waccamaw de Sud just don't do it for me.

Monday, November 17, 2008

In other news

(Before I disappear back into the last few weeks and final six projects of the semester...)

Izzy and I have managed to keep our lives updated to a few folks via Facebook and LJ status updates. We've spent time with friends this semester in Bible Study, at the Called & Gifted Workshop in Greenville, and with a little group that watches British TV series on Sunday nights. We're finishing Brideshead Revisited next Sunday.

DSC_9252
More old married people @ the C&G workshop

DSC_9195
She's sweet on him.

DSC_9257
Big G with Big Gnome

DSC_9179
(On-call during the conference)

Izzy and I took a couple of Saturdays to be irresponsible and head out of town to see friends for just a few hours. We sat in a tavern in Asheville with a friend and his three year old, who enjoyed the chalkboard (normally used for scoring games of darts.) We headed to Florence for diner with friends who were on their way to Myrtle Beach for a family vacation. I got new boots out of that trip.

DSC_9670
Asheville

DSC_9611
Asheville

DSC_9658
Asheville: selling lemonade at political rally. Look behind her...

I accompanied Izzy on a field trip to a model UN in Boone, NC. I was the female chaperone, with no responsibilities other than to share the cabin room with a dozen or so girls. I think Tigger slept (OK, mostly bounced) on the bunk above mine. It was fun watching the kids be themselves. Izzy and I actually had some quiet time together in a student lounge between sessions. How unexpectedly nice. We also caught up, briefly, with a young lady who used to hang out at our house in Durham with her twin sister and their best friend.

HHES_Model_UN_08_054
Looking professorial in Boone

Update in six sentences. We've had a three recent family bday gatherings, photos of which appear at Flickr. There appears to be an impending family divorce. One niece and one nephew are in college. I don't think anyone is pregnant. I carved another fun pumpkin for Halloween. We're rented a beach house for Christmas.

DSC_9853

DSC_9868

Seth Bday 2008037

Kaya_Bday_edit_1
Mom (a great-grandma now)

Halloween_2008_050_edited

Today is the feast of my patron saint: Elizabeth of Hungary. She is known for her philanthropy, her nursing of the poor and is one of the few medieval married saints. She worked through, and around, her husband to care for those with nothing. I admire her fortitude, even as I struggle to find time for those times of prayer and devotion that will leave me better prepared to serve those whom God brings my way.

And at this point in the semester, He'll pretty much had to bring them to my office or to the house. There won't be many more non-work trips to anywhere until I finish up. Oh, except that this Saturday we're headed to Charlotte to go hear Jason Harrod, another friend from Durham, church and Bible Study.

So, we're not quite as busy as before, but after reviewing the photos I've taken recently, I'm feeling less like a hermit.

Gotta go create PowerPoints now. I'm giving two presentations at a statewide nursing conference Thurs & Fri. I'll be in Chucktown without Izzy. It just seems wrong.

Back on Thanksgiving? Maybe before? Let's hope.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally want an SLR!!!!!!!!

Your photos are always so wonderful.
:)
G

Anonymous said...

Not that I am trying to make talking points for tonite, but you mean if I go ask a practitioner of medicine to remove my head because it hurts all the time, he has the right to deny my request, but under FOCA if I go to back to him and ask for an abortion, he has to perform it. Well I hope it passes, because I would love to see him attempt an abortion on (in?) me. Medical malpractice suit here I come!
~S

St. Elizabeth of Cayce said...

~S~
Probably goes with the other post, but hey, if I'm going to post once a month, I brought it on myself.

If you have lice, there's a special dispensation for head removal. Or, that's the sense I get from all the calls about it. But I digress...

Back to the question at hand:

Here is the relevant section from the FOCA (currently in the 110th congress as S. 1173.)

It will not pass in this lame duck session, but may be re-introduced anytime after the new term begins in early January.

SEC. 4. INTERFERENCE WITH REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH PROHIBITED.
(a) Statement of Policy- It is the policy of the United States that every woman has the fundamental right to choose to bear a child, to terminate a pregnancy prior to fetal viability, or to terminate a pregnancy after fetal viability when necessary to protect the life or health of the woman.
(b) Prohibition of Interference- A government may not--
(1) deny or interfere with a woman's right to choose--
(A) to bear a child;
(B) to terminate a pregnancy prior to viability; or
(C) to terminate a pregnancy after viability where termination is necessary to protect the life or health of the woman; or
(2) discriminate against the exercise of the rights set forth in paragraph (1) in the regulation or provision of benefits, facilities, services, or information.
(c) Civil Action- An individual aggrieved by a violation of this section may obtain appropriate relief (including relief against a government) in a civil action.

Source: S110-1173 on Govtrack.us

From the AMA Code of Ethics:

The patient has the right to continuity of health care. The physician has an obligation to cooperate in the coordination of medically indicated care with other health care providers treating the patient. The physician may not discontinue treatment of a patient as long as further treatment is medically indicated, without giving the patient reasonable assistance and sufficient opportunity to make alternative arrangements for care.

Source: (From AMA-assn.org)

St. Elizabeth of Cayce said...

G, thanks.

On my screen at work they tend to look overly red. Not anywhere else, though. What color balance do you see?

Mark Mossa, SJ said...

Remembered you at Mass on Monday!